BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

06-22-2014, 03:50 AM   #1
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
Vegas locals: Ideas? (Hotels for large group)

My buds and I from our former Army unit stationed in Germany, 2-1 AVN (Yes Aviators! ), have decided to do a reunion Memorial Day weekend 2015. We have approximately 30-50 people coming. (Still trying to locate a few and some are still figuring out if spouses are coming ect.) I was wondering if any of you have a good idea of a pretty decent hotel to stay at that can accommodate a large group like this. I will start doing research and making phone calls shortly, but I was hoping some of you could give me a good avenue of approach.

Most of us have never been to Las Vegas. I know I am really looking forward to seeing some of my friends I haven't seen going on 15-20 years. These were the guys and gals that were in the suck with me in the 90s in Cyprus, Bosnia, Kosovo, Macedonia, etc. Many continued on and have done Iraq and Afghanistan several times. Id like to secure a good spot for us to tilt back a few and reminisce and maybe have some fun at the tables.

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated. And yes, I promise I will do more research, but I'm currently in Afghanistan and calling around stateside with the time difference and costs is a bit prohibitive at the moment and Id like to get a leg up. THANKS ALL!
      06-22-2014, 09:05 AM   #2
rickyboycz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E70 X5 35D

Garage List
It all depends if you want to be in the heart of the strip or don't mind being off the strip a little.

Heart of Strip (next to Caeser's, Bellagio):

I would suggest one of the following and I think they're less pricey than others in that area... Planet Hollywood, Bally's, Flamingo

End of Strip:

Monte Carlo, MGM Grand, Mirage

Off Strip (but within reasonable shuttle/taxi range):

Rio. I like Rio as it's still pretty nice and they actually have reasonably priced food. They also have frequent shuttles to and from the strip and is probably only a mile or two away from it.

I only go to Vegas 2 to 3 times a year, so someone local may have better insight than me.

Regards
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 11:56 PM   #3
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i

Call/email several hotels and ask for a group rate. You may have to guarantee a block of rooms but that's not a big deal unless your friends flake on you. Also, be flex on your dates as some weeks are ridiculous (big fight in town, CES, SEMA, etc.).

Staying on the strip is nice as everything is a walk. Cabs are a pita in my opinion, especially with a large group.

The MFest guys got the rate down at Venetian to something like $149/night which is about 60% off a normal weekend rate iirc.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '21 X7 40i AW/Black, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 05:09 PM   #4
R3dn3k Flyby
BigMacs
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [9.67]
If you're all looking for individual rooms, then any of them can provide group rates and rooms.

If you're looking for a hotel that can provide rooms that are easy to share, then I'd suggest Palazzo or Venetian. They're suite resorts and each room has at minimum, a king bed and a pull out bed in the lower level. For roughly $30 per night, you can upgrade to a room with 2 queens and a pull out and thus sleep 5-6 comfortably per room.

If I'm staying north end of the strip, I only stay at Palazzo/Venetian. If I'm staying middle of the strip, I only stay Cosmo/Aria.

These are all 5 star resorts and can be a little more spendy, especially Cosmo.

Less expensive alternatives that I was pleased with would be Treasure Island or Mirage on the north end or Planet Hollywood in the middle. I've heard some horror stories about PH, but I've got nothing but good things to say about them.

Alternately, if you want to book as one large group and save more than what they will likely offer you in a group deal, jump on Priceline and check out the express deals.

-James

2020 RDX A-Spec : Apex Blue Pearl / Red
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 11:50 PM   #5
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
Thanks for the ideas! We have some good starting points. Ive recently redeployed from afghan and havent spent much time on the computer so I guess I really need to start looking now. I seriously appreciate the input, it is a ton of help!