F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Sport Auto Transmission
Studio RSR

07-31-2015, 07:21 PM   #1
Lord_Uzi
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi M Sport

Sport Auto Transmission

I bought my car with the regular transmission, and I regret not getting the Sport auto trans soooo much!! Is this a completely different trans? Or maybe it's different coding? I really would love to add the paddles to my car any idea how much it would cost me? Or if it's even possible
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 03:53 PM   #2
KGB_123_99
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 330ix M-Sport, '09 528ix

You can code the transmission, it is he same hardware. Paddles are more expensive and difficult to do.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 04:26 PM   #3
Lord_Uzi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB_123_99
You can code the transmission, it is he same hardware. Paddles are more expensive and difficult to do.
Can the dealer do this? Or do I speak to someone else
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 09:47 PM   #4
Dosturbos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F48 X1 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Uzi View Post
Not trying to sounds like a dick, but how did you get an Msport without a sport trans and paddles? I didn't think they sold it this way.
Can you shift on the stick? You have a sport mode, sport +, comfort, etc?
You have an 8-speed auto no? or a 6-speed manual?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 09:57 PM   #5
Lord_Uzi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosturbos
Quote:
Not trying to sounds like a dick, but how did you get an Msport without a sport trans and paddles? I didn't think they sold it this way.
Can you shift on the stick? You have a sport mode, sport +, comfort, etc?
You have an 8-speed auto no? or a 6-speed manual?
Yea I can shift on the stick, I bought the car used.. I drove a sport trans and notice a lot more burbling with the downshifts as well, I really want it lol! So now I guess I'll get it coded in
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 02:30 PM   #6
joeyb26
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

not to thread jack but does anyone know if i can swap the stock shifter for the sport auto leather boot/shifter? and if so where i can buy one
      08-03-2015, 09:34 PM   #7
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyb26 View Post
not to thread jack but does anyone know if i can swap the stock shifter for the sport auto leather boot/shifter? and if so where i can buy one
You can, just look for in for sale section or online. new go for $400 or more
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 07:46 AM   #8
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
My M-Sport was supposed to have the Sport Transmission option, but it somehow got left off the order form. It is an option, and not standard equipment (at least, not on 2013 models). I have since coded it and don't notice that much difference, but putting the car in Sport or Sport+ enables the "enhanced burble". My Sport modes include powertrain and chassis, and I've not tried just putting the trans in Sport mode while in Comfort to see if that produces the burble on upshifts and downshifts.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2015, 10:05 AM   #9
Lord_Uzi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335
My M-Sport was supposed to have the Sport Transmission option, but it somehow got left off the order form. It is an option, and not standard equipment (at least, not on 2013 models). I have since coded it and don't notice that much difference, but putting the car in Sport or Sport+ enables the "enhanced burble". My Sport modes include powertrain and chassis, and I've not tried just putting the trans in Sport mode while in Comfort to see if that produces the burble on upshifts and downshifts.
Who coded your car from you? Was it private or through bmw?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 11:48 AM   #10
Buckeyes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Quote:
You can do it yourself
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 11:50 AM   #11
Lord_Uzi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trcb777
Quote:
You can do it yourself
Are there any guides on how to do it?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 04:49 PM   #12
Lord_Uzi
Private
Rep

Where can I get it coded????
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 06:01 PM   #13
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
I'm glad there's someone else out there to repeat what I have heard others mention.....the fact that there's barely any difference in the feel of the shifting of the regular 8AT compared to the Sport 8AT (when both are being driven aggressively in Sport+ mode). I was in the same boat of not ordering the Sport 8AT because my salesmen said there was "no difference" except for the gimmick of having paddles. Then of course.....after my screw up in skipping the Sport tranny, it was painful to hear some on here rave about the "night and day" difference between the two. Thanks for clarifying that they're actually pretty close.

Now onto another topic....coding. Let's pretend I have ZERO experience in working on my car, computers, or programming. If I don't want to risk being that guy who bricks his car.....where does one go about getting it coded. More importantly....if I have flashed software (I have an MPPK) and piggyback software (I have Dinan Stage 1 stacked on my MPPK)....am I at ANY risk of messing up my engine tunes if I get the sport tranny coded? Also, would the dealer erase the coded transmission if I had it in for routine maintenance or software updates? Do coders help people out if their coding gets erased accidentally from the dealership?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 10:24 PM   #14
DaDarkUnicorn
Private First Class
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

the one I have is the one in the picture attached, I have been told by the dealer that I cannot change it to the one with the leather (sport automatic) because sport mode would stop working and it wouldn't function properly

EDIT-
I ordered the sport automatic and I will swap them to see myself because I've seen and read in the forums that it's just plug and play if I'll just change the shifter
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 06:59 AM   #15
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
I'm glad there's someone else out there to repeat what I have heard others mention.....the fact that there's barely any difference in the feel of the shifting of the regular 8AT compared to the Sport 8AT (when both are being driven aggressively in Sport+ mode). I was in the same boat of not ordering the Sport 8AT because my salesmen said there was "no difference" except for the gimmick of having paddles. Then of course.....after my screw up in skipping the Sport tranny, it was painful to hear some on here rave about the "night and day" difference between the two. Thanks for clarifying that they're actually pretty close.

Now onto another topic....coding. Let's pretend I have ZERO experience in working on my car, computers, or programming. If I don't want to risk being that guy who bricks his car.....where does one go about getting it coded. More importantly....if I have flashed software (I have an MPPK) and piggyback software (I have Dinan Stage 1 stacked on my MPPK)....am I at ANY risk of messing up my engine tunes if I get the sport tranny coded? Also, would the dealer erase the coded transmission if I had it in for routine maintenance or software updates? Do coders help people out if their coding gets erased accidentally from the dealership?
Thanks...you are pretty much correct in that the $500 cost for the option is probably more for the paddles than anything else. As for coding, no - there is no correlation between coding your transmission and engine tuning. There's not really even a capability in E-SYS to do any sort of engine programming. The modules you can code are all for other things, and the ECU stuff is all encrypted anyway. I also have MPPK, which is not affected by dealership updates (MPPK shows up when they do any software updates).

The other items you can code are "temporary" and can be over-written when they do a flash unless you do what is called "VO Coding" - you can look all that up in the DIY/Coding section of this forum. It's not at all that difficult, given the "cheat sheet" and coding database that are available in that section, which translate all the German to English and also give you the correct value (mostly "active" or "not active") to select. The principle is simple - you "read" a module's data, then go into that data and change the value of the correct item, then push it back into the module. Full instructions are also available in the Coding forum. You do have to get a proper cable and the E-SYS software and coding data, but instructions on how to obtain them are in the forum posts. I have coded the sport transmission, digital speedo readout, corrected speed (BMW has them set from the factory 3MPH fast at cruising speed), unlock at engine off, turn off accessory power on driver door open, and several other handy items. Of course, the fact that I spent 44 years in IT probably helped me understand the principles involved just a bit.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 1