View Single Post
      12-26-2011, 04:53 AM   #19
Subzero2003
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by parapaul View Post
It's irrelevant. Once you notify your insurer of the accident (which you are obliged to do) they'll record it and adjust your risk accordingly. So you may as well go through them to start with and have them do the chasing.
It's not irrelevant at all, because i wasn't talking about the issue of his insurance premium going up next year - that will happen regardless.

I repeat, do NOT go through your own insurance company if this is a non fault accident. If you do, they will require you to pay your excess and suspend your NCB until the other insurance company pay them - then if the 3rd parties insurance company decide to be morons and dispute the claim, this can take months or even years to be settled, meaning that for all those months and years, you will have lost whatever money you've paid as your excess, as well as your NCB. So if your insurance renewal comes around whilst the claim is still being settled, you will have to pay the premium with 0 NCB - because your NCB will be still suspended.

Deal with his insurer only. Forget about your insurer - just notify them and tell them you are not claiming on your policy, but pursuing it through the 3rd parties insurance. In this instance just think of them as a safety net in case the 3rd parties insurer decides to dispute the claim.
Appreciate 0