07-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Angry Headlight rant!

This is deliberately not in the Technical forum because it's not a technical issue.

I completely understand the reasoning behind, and need for, the hatch in the wheel arch to access the headlight bulbs. It's a great idea. However, I would like to personally commend the Ministry of Crap Design for their contributions to the development of this feature:
  • Of the 2 covers on the back of the headlamp unit, one can be reached easily by just opening the bonnet. Why is the one that can be reached NOT the one that is most likely to be needed?
  • The hatch in the wheel arch can be seen with the front wheels turned at full lock. There are 2 catches to release, but with the standard 18" MSport wheels fitted, only one can actually be reached.
  • The design of the catches is such that you need a chunky flat blade screwdriver to turn them. The design of the wheel arch is such that only a stubby screwdriver will fit. Nobody makes a stubby screwdriver with a chunky enough tip.

So, to sum up:

A car engineered in Germany, where I'm sure it is law to carry spare bulbs at all times in case one should blow, is designed in such a way that it is completely sodding impossible to change the sidelight or dipped beam bulb without jacking the car up and removing the wheel.

Fucking genius

It was quicker to change a bulb on my old Vectra where I had to take the bumper off and remove the headlight unit completely.