Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by avengerboater View Post
Platidip is fine, it just will never look as good as a painted glossy black grill. I plastidipped the grill on my F10, then added a bunch of "glossifier" to it and it still looked new 4 years later. It just doesn't have the shine of a painted one.

The biggest challenge with the G05 grill is that majority of it is chrome. That makes it hard for paint to adhere to and doesn't chip or crack off.

I tried the spray paint route, and it didn't turn out well. I then had a local shop paint it but they had to strip everything down and re-sand all the chrome pieces. It still doesn't look 100%, but it's pretty good, good enough for me.

And just give the Chinese market a few months. They'll soon flood ebay with painted aftermarket grills for the g05.
Can't wait until there is a reasonably priced option! I would just grab 20 bucks of vinyl off amazon or ebay before I used electrical tape.

Also, my opinion of plastidip is that it is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist - just either do it right and paint something or don't.
What I don't understand is why people wouldn't find a proper way to either buy one or get it done professionally. The majority of X5's ok here are $75k or higher from what I've seen. At that price point I don't see a reason to cut corners. While I think IND over chargers for their grill it still looks really good
Attached Images

2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 1