View Single Post
      01-18-2021, 12:24 PM   #13
SantaEugence
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 330d xDrive Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBri89 View Post
How big (long) a job was it to replace the handbrake shoes?

Any useful tips or gotchas?
Total pain in the ass. However that was because a)one spacer was seized and took a lot of hammering/heating to get off, other one was also very tight.
B) one disc was seized onto the hub so took about an hour of hammering banging and eventually heating to get off. Note this was on axel stands and I wanted to retain the disc, if you're on ramps or aren't keeping the disc you can probably give it more abuse with a big hammer.
If your discs and everything comes off easy then it's not hugely intensive. I also have M Sport breaks so two bolts on the caliper and it just slides off and sits on top of the hub assembly, I don't know if it's harder with sliding brakes.

The shoes are just fiddly and the springs inside somewhat of a pain.
Tip that worked for me though, there's a top and (fatter) bottom spring. In between the top is the adjustment cog and in between the bottom is the handbrake clamp mechanism.
You can actually just put the top spring in before the adjustment cog, and then lever the cog in. If you put the cog in first then you have to fully stretch the spring which is harder.
Bottom spring is a pain and takes a fair bit of force to hook on to the other side.

There's a few videos on you tube. The E-Series parking brake assembly is the same so if you watch those don't worry about it not being for the F series.
Also I'd probably get both axels up and then strip one side, then use the other side as a guide on how it should go back together because it's not immediately obvious which way round things go, so if you have one side on show still together you can use it for reference.
Appreciate 1
BBri89515.50