View Single Post
      04-09-2023, 01:44 PM   #6
junlikesf30s
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Gran Coupe

I ordered the CTS intake last night after hearing a friend of a friend's F30 335i lol.

Sounds amazing in person, apparently a lot of people dont pop codes with a stock tune, something to do with how they designed the portion of the tube for the MAF. I'll just have to deal with swapping the stock tube+box in for smog.

I think what's happening with the MPPK+K&N is that there's way too much air flow for the MAF to handle at it's stock location+stock DME settings. Has to do with the stock closed box panel filter design with ram air forcing too much air through the filter, which is why I was only popping codes on the highway, would also explain why the paper filter isn't popping codes since it's thick/dense. If I dropped the $1800 for the MPPK from BMW, they would install the MPPK airbox and remove fogs for more ram air, then they would tune the DME, which I assume is changing MAF parameters along with upping boost, but I'd never do that for 20-30hp, I'd rather BM3/MHD it. Not a part of my plans for the car for a while though, going to wait for my extended warranty to expire first in 40k miles/5 years.

Moving to a cone design like the CTS, along with their MAF housing, i wouldn't be ramming air passed the filter, instead just filling the area around the filter with cool outside air for the intake to suck in. Which is why people with a stock tune don't complain about the CTS or Injen intakes popping MAF codes, but the Dinan does because it's a closed box, and I bet those complaining about the Dinan are running the MPPK lower airbox too lol.

TLDR;
closed box design + air ram + higher flowing filter = codes
open intake design + air ram = ok
Appreciate 0