Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [8.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post
To be clear, this is not riding the clutch. That would be if you were driving with the clutch partly engaged (slipping). That wears the friction disc quite a bit, and will also glaze the flywheel. Holding the clutch fully disengaged does not wear the friction disc at all. It wears the throwout bearing a tiny bit, but not enough to worry about. You might be talking a 9-10 year lifespan vs. 12-13. Most of our clutches won't last that long, and the throwout bearing would be replaced at the same time anyway, so it's not really anything to worry about.

None of that addresses the original problem that leads OP to using this workaround. Just noting that you don't need to be particularly concerned about wear associated with holding the clutch pedal down at a light.
Thanks, yea, I suppose I read his initial post differently as if they used it partial disengagement while in motion - ie purgatroy of my manual transmission world. Thanks for the call out because I was definitely not wanting to have to try that, if so.

OP if you find the other posts, feel free to link them here as I’m reading through some other threads for background info as well based on searches.
Appreciate 0