04-14-2024, 08:51 AM   #4
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyc4242 View Post
I just got a BMW M240i X-Drive with 40 miles on it—why do they even have that many, isn't it just on and off the truck?

Anyway, Is there a break-in period for this model, and do I need a service after 1,200 miles like the ///M cars?
The new car can be test driven on a track -- the factory (in San Luis Potosí, Mexico) where the M2 and 230/240 are assembled has a test track nearby -- just to ensure all the systems: Engine control, brake/stability control, charging system, etc., are all working to some acceptable degree: That the readiness monitor tests complete and there are no warning lights on.

While BMW doesn't call for a break in service for the 230/240 models an early oil/filter service for new vehicles has been my SOP for decades.

I just can't bear the thought of at the end of break in and subjecting the engine to higher engine speeds and loads and doing so on the existing oil which has undoubtedly suffered some degradation.

So unless the owners manual forbids it I have my cars in for an early oil/filter service.

So sticking to my SOP I had my 230xi in for an early oil/filter service at IIRC around ~600 miles then again at ~1800 miles.

In the case of early oil/filter services this for my 230xi and M2 I ask the condition based system (CBS) not be reset. The oil/filter service is paid for by me out of pocket.

Curious I had a sample of the old (~600 mile) oil and virgin oil analyzed.

I posted PDFs of the two analysis reports in a thread.... Let me find the thread.

https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2074893
Appreciate 0