View Single Post
      04-30-2024, 05:05 AM   #386
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf Shop Tom View Post
In response to Tryboz's post, I also had a leak in the right rear shock in addition to the noise that was detected by the chassis ears the dealer used to document the issue. Why is it the right rear that seems to be surfacing in about 80% of the cases discussed here? I posed this to my service manager who is also a BMW master tech. He explained that the right rear of the car takes the majority of the torque yada yada yada.
Understanding that is beyond my field of expertise. As for the gent that replaced both rear shocks with aftermarket, can you please tell me what shocks you used? Anyone know a brand that would be considered an upgrade? Thanks you all...,
So if you strut was leaking I assume they replaced it? Did the thump go away for good? Why am I thinking it didn’t go away.

Your tech saying it’s because the right rear takes most of the torque is BS.

My car made the thump when it was brand new. The strut hadn’t experienced any hard accelerations nor is leaking 9k miles later but the sound is there.

BMW just has zero clue.

As for aftermarket struts the only people that have replaced them have been with coilovers. Really any coilover will fix the issue, it just so happens the ones they got are some of the most expensive on the market since they do not delete the EDC but still integrate with it. The bilstein evo se. they cost 3k, but like I said you can get cheaper coilovers and then do an edc delete and it will fix the issue.

You could also look into if bilstein makes struts and then get those and pair them with aftermarket springs. It doesn’t have to be replaced with coilovers.
Appreciate 0