View Single Post
      09-22-2008, 08:45 AM   #18
gadget12345
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgie2 View Post
So, I really don't need Lojack if I have the Premium Package?
I'm a total electronics freak and can even tell you the freqs that LoJack works on and have checked mine out with scanners so:-

BMW assist is different, very different than either an alarm or a LoJack and my 1 is getting all three of them. I already have the Assist , the LoJack + EWS (Early Warning System) and if I can get the dealer to figure out how to install the OEM alarm .......

My reasoning (and YMMV) :-

BMW Assist – Shock and air bag sensor + GPS + cell phone network = help if the car gets stuffed, I’m unconscious etc. NOT a theft deterrent or really a ‘its been stolen now find it for me’ system because as a couple of folks here have mentioned the shark fin antenna needs a clear line of sight to the sky for the GPS to work and think about how a professional will steal your car (It’s not hot wireable). IE: pull it up into a truck/ shipping container etc. Two other points – BMW will do nothing until they have a copy of the police report, which in my area could take a few days and the big point for this topic is that none of this will work if the battery in the trunk is disconnected. Which I felt most folks whom are interested in taking my baby would know.

Alarm – It makes the clown nose flash – which deters the casual ‘let’s smash the glass and steal the CD’s / IPOD’ folks. I have many experiences of neighbors having their cars broken into for the contents with no intent to steal the vehicle and if your breaking the glass on my car outside my house you better be prepared for one PO’d owner experience.

LoJack + EWS – Yes you want the early warning system – The only solution that’s really a ‘locate the car’ IMHO – The early warning system is a cell phone call when a motion/ tilt sensor gets activated without a secondary remote in the car (I have it on my car keys). This calls out to LoJack’s computer system which calls my home, work and cell phone and emails me and the wife (Since we both have blackberries). This does not notify the police but you better believe I will be running to the parking deck to check if my 1er is still there. If not I would then call the police (minutes after the car was lifted) to get the main LoJack activated which uses a radiating signal from the car to trigger units in the local police cars and helicopter (I kid you not – I’ve scanned some great car chases were the tracking was done from above my city). Note: The LoJack has a separate battery from the main car’s so even disconnecting the one in trunk will do you no good.

So to summarize (and again only my opinion based on research, electronics freaking and some shady stuff in the past)

BMW Assist – Call the ambulance ; I’ve been involved in a crash.
Alarm – Don’t break into me ; Do the car next door.
LoJack + EWS – Help me ! ; I’ve just been stolen and here I am.
Appreciate 0