10-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
thanks for the research. putting aside the torque/power handling capacity of the existing unit vs. the new unit, I would say that the performance of the current unit doesn't leave much else to be desired. It is such an incredible gearbox, and I'm amazed by how reliable it has proven to be. anything better is simply upside.

my only complaint about the DCT has always been that it's just so damn good it stole me away from the manual box, which is inferior by comparison. I think if the shifting in the new manual is as good as some of the best manuals out there (the box in my 997 comes to mind), I might go back to the 6MT.
Agree.

However, there are and have been some software glitches along the way. Delayed upshifts after paddle actuation (very early 2008 problem), the infamous "DCT lag" and the unit can be a bit finicky for a short time when cold. Like everything else with improved hardware and software the new units are simply going to be stellar. Unless of course you remain one of the die hard MT folks.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0