05-17-2023, 02:16 PM   #53
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 45e & G87 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
Anyway, onto the G87.

I don't hate it. Dynamically it's a step forward. I don't think it's faster than the F87, but it puts power down much better. Still does the rear-end wiggle that we first felt in the E90 335i and E82 135i, but it doesn't break loose.

I'm really glad the M2 exists, so there's that. If I bought one, I'd probably enjoy it. But I have to point out that the last car did the "M2 Thing" better. It was (IMO) way better to look at, and it was unquestionably more fun to drive on a daily basis.
Sadly, it, too, has become and M4. Super capable — kudos on that engineering and all, but... can we just have a little fun please?
Hi Jason,

I really enjoy your content going back to your days with Lieberman. Hope you can answer couple of follow-ups:

1) As a prospective owner who had to order without a test drive, I am struggling to understand how a more capable M2 with better dynamic capabilities is a step backwards from an overall enjoyment perspective?

2) You and many other auto journalist/youtubers commented on how the M2 lost its character and now it is just a mini M4. But for the people like me buying these cars with their hard-earned cash, isn't that a good thing that now there is an M4 that starts at $62k as opposed to nearly $80k? Shouldn't BMW be praised for bringing out a rwd coupe with 6MT, an e-diff, hefty brakes, and chunky tires at a "discount" price, relatively speaking?

3) Other than the obvious power delta, GR86/BRZ also come with many compromises for a dd: basic interior, loud cabin, truly unusable back seats (my kids in their car seats can use M2's back seats but not the GR86/BRZ back seats). For an enthusiast who wants to daily a fun manual car with practicality without braking the bank, other than 4 BW and maybe the Golf R, what else is really out there to even consider? 4BW has a cheap interior and questionable long-term resale. Golf R has an infotainment even more frustrating than ID8 plus it is on a fwd platform with an uninspiring 4 banger.