12-29-2014, 10:13 AM   #14
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozkj View Post
Hey Noggie - just curious if you've needed to wax your 550d again since the initial detailing. I'm interested in your approach and products you use. I've read a little bit about needing to remove old wax if re-polishing but haven't seen much regarding products or steps.

Thanks in advance.
Hi.

I did apply a new wax in November as I mentioned a few posts up, but that was just to get a more durable protection during the winter, not because it needed it.

I cleaned the car, and did a proper degreasing. Pretty much the same as the cleaning I did in my first post.
After that I took my machine and went with a fine pad and fine compound, took about an hour.
This was not to remove any scratches or anything, just to give it a quick run over before the new wax. This step also removes any leftovers of old wax.

Since I did a two step detailing in June, there was no need to do any scratch removing detailing.
Once this is done you can actually get away with a quick polish for quite some time. Something like what I did in this thread is something you need to do every two years or so.

I originally used swissvax concorso, a high gloss wax with about 6 months expected lifespan.
For winter I use swissvax shield, a more durable wax with Teflon and an expected lifespan of 10-12 months.

In April I will do another session as summer prepp and use the concorso wax again.
This may require a job somewhere in between the first job, and the one I did in November as winter tends to add more scratches than summertime, due to it being more wet, salty roads, more sand and stuff on the roads so the paint gets a beating during winter, hence why I opt for a Teflon wax during winter.

Last edited by Noggie; 12-29-2014 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0