Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
I wonder if that type of demand will actually cause BMW to increase allocations and production of the M2. If people really have to wait a couple of years for a car, they might get impatient and go elsewhere.

That's what I did...
Hard to say at this point. My personal guess, based on tireless conversations with my GM, who has some good insider info, is this:

M2 production is going to remain low and very, very limited. Here is why: those who want the M2 and M2 only, are going to wait; those who are on the fence will likely move down to the M235i or up to the M3/M4.

Granted, some may move to other brands altogether, but overall, this is how BMW seems to be planning the next two years until LCI. After LCI, who knows?

One thing my GM talked about in regards to low production is the fact that retooling the factory is a lot of work for so few cars, especially when the 2-series Tourers are outselling the coupe (ALL versions combined) 2 to 1.
Exactly.

I've said this since day one.

The Two series coupe is a low volume car for BMW in all versions including the M version.

The 3/4 series and X models are where BMW spreads the butter on their bread, and very heavily at that. The active 2 is hampering increased production of 2 series coupes just like the original X1 was a high volume seller and production of the X1 was nearly 10x higher than 1 series coupes.
Appreciate 0