View Single Post
      05-19-2023, 09:32 PM   #1598
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87, 2011 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by az8823 View Post
Hi everyone, sorry if this has been asked before, but I tried to comb through as many of the post as I could before my eyes started to hurt. Finally getting back into a BMW, formerly I owned a '14 335 and '14 550 so it's been awhile. Anyways, I went to my dealer last week and put the deposit down on a new M2 MT. He told me est production Aug and delivery by Sept. I've never ordered a vehicle before so I'm not really too informed of the process. His response was that if they get the # they typically get allocated, the Aug prod date should be pretty accurate. However, I've come across of a lot of people saying fall to next spring time frames. Honestly, I don't want to wait that long. So, my questions are, do you feel he's being realistic and 2) Should I think more about an M3?
I love the looks of the M2 but not sure if I'm ready for a coupe as a DD. With the M3, I actually like the looks of it and having the sedan would be a huge plus long term but I'm probably still 65/35 leaning towards staying on the list for the M2. Any insight would be great. Thanks in advance.
Build date estimates mean little until your dealer has an allocation, so I'd start with that. All estimates are just wild guesses until you are in the order bank, and have an allocation with a production number. Allocations for MY23 are scarce and I'd be surprised if they are just sitting on one, so I'm a little sus.

IF you get an allocation with a production number, then BMW (not the dealer) will assign the allocation an estimated build week, and that estimate is pretty trustworthy. Not guaranteed, because supply chain problems are still popping up, but as good as you can probably get.

M3 build wait times are also high, I think, so not sure you could get that appreciably faster.

I can't comment on whether you should get a coupe or sedan, only you can answer that. But M2 rear seats are smaller than both the M3 and M4, not really suitable for adults, so factor that in.

Edit: this is worth a read.
Appreciate 1
az882337.00