Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
I'll swap them out in a couple weeks when I'm home again. Re: putting it face down, I'll have to test it but it seems to get warm regardless. When it's in the center console charging via usb-c, I can run carplay music & nav for 4 hours and the phone doesn't get warm at all.
Cool let us know.
RE: warming up, the phone gets warm when it’s using Nav right, so it does that no matter what. CarPlay just makes that happen. If you charge it via cable the phone shuts down too, because it overheats.

What happens when you plug it in under the armrest is that the temperature in the compartment varies more with the AC setting you have on.

For example: I had my rear climate control set to max heat one day (drying wet shoes in the back floor, don’t ask) and my phone died in the compartment in a matter of minutes. Alternatively setting the AC to max for the back turned the centre console very cold, and the phone was happy.

With the tray behind the shifter, the temperature for the front rows affects it more. And if you close the lid, it gets worse. I don’t have the charger there (manual) and my phone dies in there if I close the lid.

Experiment with temperature settings too if you have issues. But putting your phone face down won’t make it charge so it’ll essentially be like leaving it in a non-charging pad. Same results you’ll see.
Appreciate 0