03-08-2024, 07:58 AM   #53
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
I have no idea why someone would think that an oil change was necessary or even wanted to do one at ONLY 600 miles. That alone baffles me a touch...

I have posted a picture of the oil canister oil drained from my 2008 Cayman S at ~750 miles. Full of metal (aluminum) to the point the oil had a metallic sheen to it. Sure the filter prevented the metal debris from passing through provided the filter high pressure bypass valve never opened.

An analysis of the oil from my 230ix at 624 miles found the high temperature (212F) viscosity was 7.373 vs. 8.577 for the virgin oil. The cause for this change/drop off in viscosity was very likely due to molecular shearing. IOWs the oil breaking down. If so and at ~600 miles one can only wonder what the oil's high temperature viscosity will be at the CBS oil change interval.

While I didn't have the M2's oil analyzed when I had it changed at ~600 miles this next oil change -- with the CBS system calling for service -- I will have both the drained oil and virgin oil analyzed and post the results. Won't be quite the same as having the factory fill oil analyzed at however many miles it accumulated from new but will see what there is to see. (Oh, last M2 oil change at ~4800 miles. This next oil change will be at around 7250 miles.)

My SOP is when I buy a new/used car to treat it as if I'm going to own it forever. So I try to give the car servicing from the start of my ownership that offers the best chance, in the case of an early oil/filter service, of a long and trouble free service from the engine.
Appreciate 2