View Single Post
      09-13-2015, 11:50 AM   #19
wazzza
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80x M3C

Garage List
I find dealer hunting and dealer bashing interesting, not because of how excited we get when something good comes out of it, or how disappointed we get after a deal falls through, but because of the great conflict of interest that lies therein.

We wan't to buy a fancy sports car, way below MSRP, possibly even below invoice, but at the same time, want to be treated as gods the minute we walk in. I find this a mutually exclusive situation in almost all cases -- one can walk in, pay over MSRP, no hustling, and be the "best" customer a dealership can have. Or one can be that guy, who wants to discount every dollar he/she can but still wants business in a top-notch fashion.

The middle ground, I find, is to be patient and respectful. Work on maintaining a relationship with the Client Advisor, the finance guy, the GM. Be a nice guy in general. Dealerships and the folks that work there deal with all sorts of people 12 hours a day, 7 days a week -- some are ideal cash splashing clients, some are deal hustlers, some wander to simply test drive fancy cars with no intension of ever buying it, some come in for free coffee, some have no clue what they are doing, some are nasty stupid, so on and so forth. To expect the dealership to spot you, gauge you, and make you happy within minutes of walking in, or over the phone is only hampering your chances of walking away with a good deal, or ever having a good relationship with the dealer.

I have never walked in to any dealership that treated me badly -- from the ones people write horror stories about, to the ones applauded in here. It surprises me that BMW Portland is being bashed here. I just got my 10th car, and my 4th BMW. This was my first time at Portland and it was by far the best experience. Did I have to wait longer than 10 minutes? Possibly. Maybe even longer. But do I care? No. Because my CA (David Padgalskas) took care of me like a pro from day one. They kept my car at the dealership for more than a month after it was delivered when I had to travel outside the country on short notice - no questions asked. Even on delivery day, when I took the train from Seattle, I was picked up on a fancy X6M, and the whole paperwork process was butter smooth - just confirmation of the deal we had discussed months prior and that was it, no insurance up selling, no extended warranty spiel. I also had friends with me, and was planing on hanging around in downtown Portland for a bit. I was offered an X5 to drive around because I didn't want to take my new M4. In the end, I took the train to get a better feel for downtown Portland, the tickets of which were also complimentary! Oh, and my deal, was not even remotely close to MSRP and better/on par with any deals posted we see posted on the deals section.

Of course, your mileage may vary -- with service and with the negotiation. But my point is, these guys are there because they like what they do, and they want to help you get your dream car. How well that happens, is largely dependent on you as well.

tl;dr;
People bashing BMW Portland in here surprises me. How well a dealer treats you is also dependent on you -- be humble, be patient. If you are looking for a new ride in the Northwest area, talk to David Padgalskas and tell him Utsav sent you. He will take care of you. I'll be happy to give his email/phone if you PM me.

Cheers!

Last edited by wazzza; 09-13-2015 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 0