View Single Post
      02-14-2023, 07:49 PM   #2
M240SLC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
Installed the Active Autowerke DP the other day and for those that have done this know there's a slit in the mid-pipe that allows for some expansion for the DP to slide into. It's not visible under normal circumstances while under the car since the clamp conceals it.

I had a hell of a time getting the OEM DP out as it was tightly wedged into the mid-pipe and had to use a screwdriver to slightly pry the slit apart a little to wiggle the DP out. I also think the AA DP does not extend fully past the slit in the mid-pipe, thus leaving a very small gap for air to leak.

After install I started the car and crawled back under to feel for leaks and the DP to turbo felt good, but I could feel (and hear) air coming from the DP to mid-pipe. After the car warms-up for about 10-15 seconds and the idle drops a little, I no longer hear the air pump sound.

I'm thinking about taking the car to my trusted muffler shop and having them do a proper weld. I know in the past with previous cars the muffler shop has told me they hate clamps as they will almost always leak.

Anyone else weld your mid-pipe to your DP? I'm about to leave on a 2,500 mile road trip and may wait until I return just to make sure there's no CEL's before having anything welded.
I haven't taken the DP leap yet, but I agree with your intuition to wait until after your trip to possibly weld it. That'll let it break in a bit, too...and as you said, see if any CEL gremlins pop up.
Appreciate 0