03-09-2009, 07:33 AM   #16
OOOSQ
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M / CLA45 AMG SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb3rs View Post
My friend, I completly dissagree with you!

The 135i comes with 8" subes directly under the seats. Replacing these with better quality, less ditortion aftermarket subs is better than putting them in the trunk.

Riding around town with your trunk "thumping" is a sign of poor design, when you can have the cabin hitting ultra lows.

There is absolutly no need to replace the head unit! We are talking about sound, all an aftermarket HU does is add glitz and drama.
I think you'll find that whilst the 1 series have 8" holes underneather both the driver and passenger seats the actual 'sub' is only 6 inches.

I'm an audiophile of sorts here in Australia and I've looked into a number of options for my 118i and wanting to keep the look absolutely stock. (I've spent over 15k on audio and installs in my previous car over the years and I'm over it!).

As far as I'm aware, even though the standard subs are 6' in an 8' hole, Earthquake are the only OEM speaker manufacturer that make an 8' sub that will fit in this space. I was looking at the possibility of changing the stock 6' subs out from under the seats, replacing them with Earthquake 8's and putting Focal 100KRS 4" component speakers in the stock mid and tweeter locations running off a decent 4 channel amp and keeping the stock head unit. Some will argue using the stock unit limits your sub control etc but this is easily fixed with an aftermarker control unit fitted into the glovebox (Alpine for eg.).

The audio shop I use (mainly deals in high end gear, Imagine Dynamics, Dynaudio, Tru Tech etc) has fitted a 135 with this system and it's supposedly a great improvement. The biggest issue I face is having to 'cope' with earthquake subs and focal speakers which are not a preferance at all. But to keep it stock in appearance, from what I understand - is the only option.
Appreciate 0