02-05-2024, 08:48 AM   #15
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geighty7 View Post
I haven’t found any threads about this so I figured I’d ask. This is my 2nd G87 as the last one was involved in an accident.

Happy to be back in one, however I noticed when measuring finger gaps, my front driver side fender is a tad bit higher than the passenger.

Has anyone experienced this? You can’t tell visibly or when driving, but if you stick your fingers under there it’s apparent.

I measured and got about 5-6mm difference between the 2.

Is it not a myth that BMW M cars are like this from factory to overcompensate for driver weight ratio? Or do I just need to figure this out once I put the HAS on?

Would love feed back. Online I’m finding a bunch of different things but none pertaining to the G87 platform.
You are measuring --- more like estimating -- body panel fits. That space between the fender and the tire is probably (almost certainly) within manufacturing/assembly line tolerances.

If it weren't then the top of the fender would be higher than the hood and the other fender.

I have never encountered anything official -- from the factory -- regarding the ride height -- which is *not* what you are measuring -- to compensate for the driver and his weight.

Some alignment shops make a "big deal" adding ballast on the driver's side.

But pretty much what for example Porsche has in its factory service manual for its Turbo is what I have found -- when I have looked into it -- other factories call for.

First regarding ride height there is this:

As with the 911 Carrera (996) models, there is no adjustment facility for changing the vehicle height!

This applies to both the front and the rear axles!

Since the vehicle height cannot be adjusted, it is not possible to adjust (fine adjustment) the wheel−load difference between left and right at the rear and front axles!

The varying strength of pads between coil springs and spring seats on the right and left spring struts on the front and rear axles is not intended for changing the vehicle height but for compensating for differences in coil−spring load groups.

Because of the different equipment versions (additional equipment), a greater wheel−load difference between the left and right is permissible than previously was the case in Porsche suspension alignment for the 911 Carrera (996) (over 20 kg is possible). This is partly the result of heavier components compared with standard equipment and partly results from additional components that are asymmetrically arranged.

Have to note the above refers to vehicle height which is *not* what you measured.

Then there is the following:

In order to exclude erroneous measurements, the following preconditions must be met before alignment and the following points should be given special attention:

Empty weight of vehicle in accordance with DIN 70020, i.e. car ready for the road, with full fuel tank, spare wheel (collapsible wheel) and tools. 

Ball−joint and wheel−bearing play in order (wheel−bearing play cannot be adjusted).

Tyre pressure in accordance with regulations, fairly uniform tyre tread.

There's about a page of other items but the above items are the only sentences that applies to the vehicle.

Talk a walk on a dealer's lot and check a number of new vehicles like you checked your vehicle. I would not be surprised you find some variation similar to what you found with your vehicle.
Appreciate 1
Geighty71466.00