View Single Post
      05-14-2023, 05:17 PM   #22
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87, 2011 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavyyyy View Post
Seems like you’re in the same boat as me. The M2 is supposed to be the more fun one and the M3/M4 are the more serious ones.

That’s what Cammisa and TH are saying as well but you’ll be chastised around these parts for feeling that way. Objectively my G80 drives better than my F87C did but honestly the F87C was more fun. I never felt safe in it and that was charming.
Meh, it's well understood that the G80 is less tailhappy, more planted, not really a lot of argument there. It's more a debate about what "fun" is. Is it fun to be planted, precise and thus faster, or is it fun to be tailhappy and tossable. It's "track vs hoon," it's hard to make a car to do both at the same time.

I think the G8x/G87 family is obviously not intended to be quite as hoonable, but it could be modded in that direction. I fully expect we'll see examples in the future.

1. Most importantly, it is RWD, and still has sufficient torque to break the tires away. (For the moment, put aside the problem of the MT's tall first gear and torque limiting.) We'll need to temper expectations because the S58 is never gonna act like the B58 at low revs, tho.

2. It is running grippy 285s on the back, you can use "worse" tires on the rear.

3. The obvious changes to the rear suspension, depending on your tolerance for risk.

4. BMW allows you to turn the nannies all the way off.

The G87 is never going to be an 86 or miata, and definitely not a rally car. We can only ask so much from a daily driver BMW 4 seater. But I think it can definitely be made more lively.

There likely won't be a G87C, but it would be hilarious if they made one and the only difference was making it a hooning machine. Short 1st gear, looser rear springs, narrower rear tires, boost threshold pulled down to 2K. That would be nuts. Never gonna happen, OFC.
Appreciate 4
DrJLag420799.00
///M TOWN20684.50
F87EVO4058.00
JTO245276.00