Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92; MG TF 160; C2 VTS

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcellere View Post
I got the iPod Adapter for my M3 and I want to use a USB flash drive instead of using my iPhone. Reason being is it's a pain in the ass having to plug and unplug my phone every time I get in and out of the car being I'm always listening to music. 8GB of storage and fast would be nice.
I have an 8 gig Transcend JetFlash drive that works flawlessly. The main issue in choosing a flash drive (unless you use an extension cable) are it's physical dimensions .... if it has a body longer than 5cm it will probably prevent the armrest from closing properly (see pic).

The cars manual says that tracks with a bitrate greater than 256 may not play. I have used Windows Media Player to rip CDs to .wma format (bitrate 192) and they sound perfect (at about 90MB per CD that will give about 100hours per 8 gig drive .... should see you well past the engine run-in period).

iDrive reads the flash drive like a PC and displays the same directory structure you created when copying files to the drive. It displays folder names and file names (sans extension). It will display the id3 tag data and display tracks by artist, genre, album if you wish. Create a neat directory structure with your PC and it will be neat and simple to navigate with iDrive.
Attached Images

Last edited by GeriFix; 01-21-2008 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: improve accuracy of post
Appreciate 0