10-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #13
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
115 mph is far from the norm as was 12.5. That was also one test, corrected for perfect conditions.

Avg of all times seem to fall around 12.7-12.8 @ 112 mph. I am guessing a 5 mph increase gen over gen...

Ive seen a 997.2 S (385 hp) trap 117 mph but do not think that is the norm...

http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/roa..._porsche_911_s

My guesses are also dependant on M5/M6 numbers. Those two cars are ~12.0@120 mph. I highly doubt they are going to allow the M3 to beat these numbers in a car that is going to be 25-30K less.
I suppose it is really an issue of semantics. No one wants to use outlier data as the single best representative number. However, performance results from the real world are not normally distributed (i.e. not a bell curve) like many other phenomena riddled with so many random and systematic factors. These results tend to be finite/bounded at least on the upper end of the performance results, perhaps more qualitatively like a chi-square or gamma distribution. In other words there has never been an bone stock E92 M3 run a 12.0 1/4 mi. However, there have been incredibly rare runs of 20 seconds or even an infinite time (did not finish).

From my perspective I am much more interested in the upper echelon of the performance numbers achieved say at the far ends of the distribution (whether you are talking about wanting good=small number or good=big number). Why is this? This number more represents the true ultimate potential of the car itself. It is less about the driver, the track, the weather etc. This is all of course assuming that the number is not some type of outlier, which I do not believe the 12.5@115 numbers are for the current M3.

Now of course the "typical" numbers that typical drivers (non experts) are able to obtain are certainly also useful numbers to know. Knowing both gives one the best of both worlds!

I don't know precisely the "best" M5 numbers obtained, but am certainly somewhat interested in those. I would not be surprised if the best numbers from the M4 are extremely close or maybe even better than the M5. At high speeds there will obviously be no contest, but at lower speeds it is going to be close. Ultimately, they will be close at low to medium speeds simply because their power to weight ratios will also be very close.

Well that was pretty long winded but I hope clarifies my predictions and interests.

Cheers.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0