View Single Post
      12-20-2023, 11:10 AM   #89
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Show me non-M car that has had this happen to them. You won't find any because they don't have this design flaw. Just like not having protection on the front radiator (for AT) and front heat exchangers on the G87. These can be addressed by BMW engineers without using massive plates as you suggest. The bean counters however have looked at the likelihood that something will happen and have accepted the risk (on your behalf) to cut cost. I think any reasonable person understands this is rare but who wants to take that chance when you could lose your engine and all the headache and depreciation that comes along with that?

Anyone who buys an M car already pays to play by spending much more on an M vs the standard model. To expect buyers to first beware of the issue and then have to address it isn't paying to play, it's ridiculous.

P.S. I wasn't offended by your comments. Anyone should be able to discuss an issue and offer other perspectives. It's how we all learn from each other.

No, no direct knowledge on oil cooler damage (based on the G's under car location but the B9 S5 intercooler damage is directly in line with the G87 radiator concerns (and as I said, the Audi has a honeycomb grill, albeit plastic material, see below for stock photo for reference). This lack of protection is on all of the RS models and I believe a number of the S models. Unfortunately, cars are not designed to protect from large rocks or debris (except maybe the electric cars/SUVs without grills...then again they dont have ICEs which is another story/debate I am not getting into with thebtree huggers).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0