View Single Post
      10-03-2016, 08:01 PM   #1
Seamaster2221
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

M2 HK Sound System Review vs DynAudio 600W

Since picking up my LLB M2 two weeks ago after the Diff debacle I settled into listen to the sound system. My initial reaction was one of disappointment. The thing I noticed were the factory settings were set to max treble and neutral bass I started to experiment. I took the opportunity to rate this against my friend Steve's Dynaudio system in his VW Passat, which I had been impressed with immensely. Bavsound was in the back of my mind or a custom fitted sub initially as options.

• HK 12-channel digital amplifier with 360 Watts total output power

• Dynaudio 16-channel digital amplifier with 680 Watts total output power

Here are our thoughts.

Gary's thoughts

I'm not the only one - Track 5 - Sam Smith

• Dynaudio 10-channel digital amplifier with 600 Watts total output power

• Appeared boomy and started to distort and higher volume on the low frequencies
• Greater soundstage, vast and expansive
• Can achieve a higher volume
• Lower absolute base

• What it gave away in higher volume and absolute low range bass in frequency it gained on over precision and tightness in sound.
• The sound came across as more nimble.
• Sam Smith's voice is less pitchy
• Not as fatiguing to the listener

Strange love - Track 3 - Depeche Mode

• Fan and percussion spinning at beginning of track was precise
• Good spread on the low end boomy and started to distort and higher volume on the low frequencies
• Greater soundstage, vast and expansive
• Nice vocals
• Lower absolute base

• Fan and percussion spinning at beginning of track was precise
• Layers of sound head clearly between drums , percussions and vocals.
• Bass was there but not as well spread in depth. Like comparing a 10 – 12 inch sub.

Tighten Up track 1- Black Keys

• This track starts off with whistling and then snare drums kick in with vocals.
• It’s a busy track but the sounds came out slightly muddled
• Lower absolute base again. You could feel the air pump out with each drum beat.

• What it gave away in higher volume and absolute low range bass in frequency it gained on over precision and tightness in sound.
• Surprisingly more precise then the Dyna with more clarity in highs and mid
• Punchy sound
• Not as fatiguing to the listener

Overall the HK can achieve similar levels of volume, that is loud before it became an uncomfortable ear bleed situation.

Both system did not have an Equaliser setting function and have auto equalisation sensors

Both systems were set on neutral for treble and bass
HK will gain some needed low end spread in dialling up the bass setting by three notches where the Dyna will compound its bass end distortion if the same is applied.

Lastly, I wanted to compare the system whilst initially thinking the HK was lacking across the board to the Dynaudio system based on memory, actual testing provided a few surprises. Firstly, the HK system was not all that behind in precision and clarity and in some tracks it wins. The sound staging is enhanced with the Dynaudio with a greater sound stage and deeper low end bass. This is achieved with more power, more speakers and bigger cabin of the Passat over the M2. Lastly, I was surprised with the levels of distortion of the Dyna whilst the bass of the Black Key Drums were all enveloping, the depth in bass distorted in the Sam Smith track to a point where it was tiring to listen to. It leaves me more accepting to live with and even appreciate the HK system whilst it is small in soundstage and can never dream for it to reach the low end of the Dyna it is more precise more often.

Setting the HK system’s Bass by +3 and listening the entire Black Keys CD I have noticed that the bass of the HK sits so forward in front of the drive almost at feet level that one wouldn’t know that subs sit under the seats. They only trigger for noticeable subwoofer involvement is to artificially force them to get involved by dialling up bass setting to 6+. With the Dyna it is obvious that a couple of rockets are below the cushions of the seats.

Steve's comments:
Treble - staging arguably better on the Dynaudio. But I could not really perceive too much difference in treble otherwise.

Midrange - I think were similar on both systems

Bass - biggest difference between the systems. The Dynaudio clearly has more volume/power but I think the M2's system was tighter with less distortion on all 3 tracks particularly noticeable in the Sam Smith track.

I have to say I was surprised at the distortion coming out of the Dynaudio this morning, have not noticed as much distortion on other days. But the M2 definitely has tighter, more controlled bass even if not as punchy or with as much volume.

I wouldn't bother upgrading the M2 sound system, I still think you also have to worry about possible warranty issues.
Appreciate 3
TomAce67.00
ric124453.00
FIDDIE12.00