View Single Post
      07-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #22
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

The biggest thing is, you really do have to look first! Whether it is via properly adjusted mirrors or physically turning your head, if you keep aware of your surroundings, your chances of getting into trouble are much less. The only times I've had a close call are when you're passing someone on a multilane road, and someone else ends up pulling out to pass into the lane of the vehicle you've just passed, especially if you're passing something like a tractor trailer which was blocking the right lanes for awhile.

I really enjoyed driving in Germany when I lived there...except during the summer when there were lots of tourists. The Germans really take following the rules of the road to heart, so people actually keep right except to pass, and do not pass on the right. Plus, they do follow the right of way rules. Course, there are always the exceptions, but as a general rule...you can be pretty sure the rules will be followed, which makes it less stressful and safer. Their driver training and required knowledge of the rules before they can get a license is vastly more intense and complete than the silly 20-question written test, and short driving test we give people. Given that, it's a marvel that more people aren't injured in vehicular accidents here. I think we have our attitudes and expectations wrong...driving is a privilege, not a right, and it should be earned.
Appreciate 0