DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

new E Class styling v's new 5er styling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchem View Post
2010?? Wow that is too long..

Mhm...the new e-class is tempting and its launching in july.
In comparing the styling of the new W212 E Class to that of the new F10 5er, I would disagree with your opinion on the new E.

IMO, the new 5er is a much more dynamic looking car, with sporty lines and no strange embellishments, as found above the E Class rear wheel well.

Imagine the new E without its MB grill and rear logo ! What make would you guess this car to be ? Looking at the headlights, one could be excused for guessing Lexus. Then there are the rear lights that look so much like a Hyundai. Compared to the current E, with its Italian-like curves, the new, very angular E seems to be a big disappointment to me.

Unfortunately, the greenhouse on the new E has been reduced in height compared to the W211, so as to compromise side and rearward visibility. Notice the change in the new 5er's greenhouse; it is similar to the new 7 with a larger glass area than the current E60. This means that the new 5er will have better visibility than the E60 and the new E Class.

As far as the interior styling is concerned, from what we have seen so far in the spy shots, the new 5er will be similar to the new 7. This look is much cleaner than the new E Class, which has taken a more angular direction.

If we start to compare engines and driving dynamics, the BMW will really show its superiority ! The BMW I6 twin turbo motor is so much more responsive and efficient than the MB 3.5L V6. Then, compare steering and brakes, where BMW always exceeds the competition.

I, for one, applaud BMW for redirecting their styling, away from the Bangle embellishments, toward a cleaner, modern and very sporty demeanor.

Last edited by DerekS; 05-31-2009 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0