Dalko43
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Yes, it's called profit
There's no denying that BMW is trying to profit from M4 sales, but name me a car company that it isn't aiming for a profit.

Also, I think I recall having a similar conversation with you on a similar thread. Though $8k is a lot for a brake package, you're still better off getting BMW's CCB package than you are going with an aftermarket CCB package, which are much more expensive at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I don't know how much you have read from the various threads on the topic, but I never said there are no benefits to CCBs.

CCBs offer lower unsprung mass to improve handling (the greatest benefit IMO). They also offer a small reduction in rotating mass (albeit it is almost negligible). They also offer direct street to track possibility (IMO the iron rotors will need proper track pads to last full sessions while the CCB in stock form will be sufficient).

Based on my experience with my E92, with proper track pads, the iron rotors should last (perform without significant fade) just as long as the CCB. In terms of wear, that still remains to be seen, but as I posted earlier, even if they last 6 years and ~100 track days, the irons are still cheeper. IMO, there is simply no cost benefit to the CCB and the benefits they do offer are not worth the cost TO ME.
Weight reduction seems to be an ancillary benefit, especially if you read what BMW engineers and auto journalists have to say. The real benefit is increased heat resistance, which allows more consistent braking lap after lap.

I think for a club racer, stock iron rotors with upgraded calipers, pads, ect. make sense, because you'll be burning through your brake setup quickly.

For a dedicated daily driver that does occasional track days (maybe 10-12 per year, and that's on the high side), CCB are a logical option. As you said, they allow a car to go straight from the road to the track without having to fiddle with pad changes, ect.

Will BMW's CCB be cheaper for that kind of use? That remains to be seen and depends on how long CCB's last vs base brakes for DD use with occasional track time. Even if they turn out to be more expensive for 6+ years of ownership, that doesn't mean that they aren't worth getting. You have to pay more for better performance...it's all a matter of how much more performance M4 owners want.
Appreciate 0