08-19-2014, 08:39 PM   #18
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
I am sorry, but you are way oversimplifying the issue here. I can lock up and engage ABS at 20 mph, that is not a measure. Performance braking is an art IMO and it is the very last thing even racers learn how to do well, let alone us regular Joes. It is not just a matter of pushing the middle pedal. So, please don't use that as your comparison variable, for your sake. I am sure you heard it many times before, brakes are not for slowing down, but to manage the weight transfer for most grip available, just like all other controls.
I was simplifying because the OP asked a simple question... braking distance of steel vs. CCB.

Threshold braking isn't the question or the answer (and I understand threshold braking and am somewhat proficient at it ). The question is stopping distance. The stopping distance will be the same as it is about the weight of the car, the suspension of the car and the traction of the tires... all being the same... as long as the brakes have sufficient power. The same driver in a CCB car vs. a steel brake car and the braking distance is the same as both sets of brakes have more than sufficient braking force to completely lock the tires (or engage ABS) if the driver wished to do so... therefore, the cars ability to actually stop will be based on weight, suspension and tire grip.

Now if the question was braking distance after 10 hard stops that might be different. If the question was about brake modulation, that might be different. Absolute stopping distance? The same.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0