04-12-2014, 04:57 PM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
With maybe one exception, Tesla, none of the vehicles now being sold except the i3 started out with a clean sheet, and are modified ICE or hybrid vehicles of one sort or the other - all built on a modified existing chassis, never optimized for being all-electric. If that isn't more focused, I'm not sure what is?! The thing is designed as a city car, therefore certain characteristics come to mind: smaller for parking, small turning circle for tight spaces, some storage for tasks like shopping, the ability to cart the kids to the movies with extra seats, ability to not get in the way in a city (decent acceleration), and no big need for an extended range. That they were able to leave space, and not impact the rear storage at all, for the REx, for those people that felt the need for more, is also a tribute.
A bit of a stretch don't you think. The Nissan Leaf is a pure electric based on its own chassis as is the Tesla S. I'd have to research more, but it think there are a few others. The other current cars may have the basis of common architecture shared with a gas-powered vehicel, but most all are optimized for weight and EV performance as it helps both types of drivetrains regardless. The Volt even has a unique architecture even if its common platform is based on the GM Epsilon platform. I think you are making a bit too much out of BMWs i3 chassis. Most people shopping an EV could give a rat's patooty what the chassis is made of. They want driving range at an affordable price along with convenient charging.
Appreciate 0