View Single Post
      08-13-2014, 05:22 PM   #4
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

The heat pump shouldn't really be much different in draw than the ac you might use in the warmer climates except that it might have to run longer - depends on how hot or cold it really is, and your cabin settings along with the solar load.

In the USA, the heat pump is standard in all the models (at least the BEV - I haven't looked at the REx as much). I ordered the cold weather package, so I have the seat heaters (don't remember what else that may include in it). I would expect those will decrease range, maybe a fair amount if run on high.

The car will warm the batteries up by itself during running, but if you precondition it before leaving while it is on a charge, you'll not use battery capacity to do it. At least now, unless you've set a departure time and delayed the charging, if the car is at full charge, even if the EVSE is still attached and you ask it to precondition, it won't turn the thing back on until the battery level gets down to less than 95%, so it might not come back on.

It'll be a few months before I am likely to experience cold enough to check it out here.
Appreciate 0