01-15-2024, 07:14 AM   #4
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarPoor View Post
The high moly is from the engine assembly lube and is very typical rather than as an additive in the oil. The BMW bottled oil is definitely different from the factory fill and I’ve no idea who made the factory fill myself. It’s the same for my M240 and wife’s X3 (different plants) and looking back at the first uoa from my F80 is the same DI pack in a light SAE 30.
Way back when I was advised to break in a rebuilt engine with the same oil I was going to use after break in. I was told by my tech buddies contrary to what some believed this is what the factories (at least Ford, Chevy, Dodge/Chrysler) did. (Tech buddies worked at various Ford/Chevy/Dodge dealers. 'course, in this context we are talking about BMW...)

I participated in a number of engine rebuilds and every time the tech filled the rebuilt engine with the same oil he would run in the engine after break in.

And I rebuilt two engines: Datsun 1.6l and a Chrysler 318ci V8. And used the same oil for break in that was recommended (by the factory) for engine oil services. (And as I was taught I ran the engines for approx. 15 minutes at fast idle -- exhaust manifolds were dull red -- then shut off the engine and drained the oil and refilled with the recommended factory oil, and of course replaced the filter.)

Economics works against special factory fill oil. Adds cost to have a special oil for just factory fill.

But of course the factory would quite readily accept that cost if the special oil was necessary to ensure healthy engines.

There is no caution in the owners manual about an early change of the factory fill oil. I do note for the M2 the factory calls for a 1200 mile oil/filter service, a running in service. But not for in this case the 230i. 'course, the M2 engine is more highly tuned. The 230i 2.0l engine puts out 255hp. That's 127.5hp per liter. The M2 engine puts out 453hp or 151hp per liter.

To be sure the difference in moly content can be explained by the application of some assembly lube used at the factory. But the moly content is high. To me that suggests a quantity of moly was added to the oil rather than leaving the moly content to chance based on the use of some assembly lube.

Based on the analysis I can't see anything that suggests the factory fill oil is really different than that of the virgin sample of 0w-20 oil.

'course, without actually analyzing a virgin sample of the factory fill oil and comparing it to an analysis of a virgin sample of what the factory recommends using in subsequent oil changes who knows?
Appreciate 0