View Single Post
      04-02-2014, 08:25 PM   #2
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

No, the REx only has a small gas tank, but it is said to extend the range by about 100%. After that, you'd be stopping about every 100-miles or so to refill the tank, AND, depending on the driving, your trip may be more reserved...it depends on where and how you are driving...the motor is not all that big, and while it can provide enough current to keep you going probably on the flat, should you have a long incline, you might find out your speed drops off.

The car is not designed for a long trip...it is explicitly stated that it is designed as a city car, or near the city, for typical commuting distances. Testing has said through the electric mini and other BMW electric vehicles, that most people only drove them around a max of 34-miles a day, about 1/3 of the normal battery capacity. The REx is for those that might have range anxiety, and maybe decide to take a side trip on the way home and won't have to worry about running out of juice.

The i8, and other future I-series cars may be a 'normal' car replacement, but the i3 is not.
Appreciate 0