View Single Post
      04-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #6
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

100-miles round trip? I'd buy the REx, or a different car. Especially in the winter, I do not think you'd make it without the REx, and you'd be close to empty under normal circumstances in Comfort mode. You might make it without, but it would be very tight, and you'd have to probably run in Eco or Eco Pro mode, which progressively disables some functions (like heat, except when the windshield gets foggy, and max speed, and max acceleration). Now, if you could talk your employer to install a charging station, or park where there is one, no problem.

Luckily, I do not have a commute, and most of my trips are either to the park, the doctor, or shopping, and those are all close. I'd use my ICE for longer trips out of the area, or if I needed to carry more.

The i3 is not designed as an only car for most people, but it can provide the needed transportation most of the time for many. Either rent a car for those vacations, or when you need something that can travel further, or opt for the BMW program that includes that, or keep your old vehicle. Personally, I do not see many people buying this as their only vehicle except for the dedicated city dweller, or someone close enough to be able to use it for the vast majority of their driving needs. It is smaller for a reason, and they limited the max range for many reasons (price, weight, size, primarily).

Using an electric vehicle in a dense city environment has few disadvantages and many advantages: it's small, doesn't pollute, has better acceleration to city speeds than most cars, and can zip here and there without issue (at least in the i3). Good turning circle, decent room at least for two, and acceptable for 4 for a commute, along with a nice cabin. Enough room for getting groceries on the way home, too. Over time, more and more workplaces and retail locations will have chargers, and you can top off while getting your coffee or lunch, or shopping, thus removing some of the round-trip limitations, but early adopters will be at a disadvantage while that infrastructure is built up. But, if you look at the number of charging stations in place over the last few years, it is growing rapidly, and will do it even faster as more electric vehicles are delivered.
Appreciate 0