View Single Post
      08-10-2008, 02:01 PM   #22
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
I was contacted although given much less time I would be without my X6 ( a week).The problem I have with after market tuning is basically two things, This replaces my x5 which we use to go on trips to Arizona, Nevada,etc. Sometimes we are in the middle of no where.
I can see it breaking down being towed to the dealer and having them say "well that will be $6000 for the repair, $3000 because the car has been modified and $3000 because you have California plates" (numbers fictitious). Other one is the gas mileage is not great to begain with but I can live with it. So having one with that much juice would be great just can't accept the down side.
Smart move. if you search the forums, you will see a service bulletin that states BMW is now able to detect after market turbo kits and as a result the warranty will be void on the engine. Even if you remove the chip before service, they can still detect as the boost level is recorded.

the only after market chips BMW recognizes is Dinan but that is only for non-turbo cars.