stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
Couple things for you... if you get new tires, get Dunlop ZII's. There are a couple other options close in performance, but those are WAY agove what you have listed for options, and considerably more affordable.

Understeer is by design in the car. Putting a rear bar on it will not correct it all that much in most cases. What you need to do is get as much rubber on the front as you can (try to square up to whatever you have in the rear, even if you are a staggered wheel setup). Then have the alignment modified to maximize camber on the fronts and go zero toe, to a slight toe out. That will help significantly.

On the RWD cars we put on a FRONT bar actually. Helps get more power down on corner exit. Tire pressures and the alignment information I gave you is how we dial out the understeer. If you overdrive you'll still get plenty of push, but the car will approach good neutral attitude on anything but a tight hairpin with the right adjustments and alignment.

Hope that helps and enjoy!
Just curious: What are the options other than the ZIIs that you would mention? Nothing against the Dunlop, I just like learning about tires. After perusing TR for a bit the BS RE-11a seems attractive to me. I'd like something a bit more civilized on the road even if it's not the total cat's meow in autoX. I really need to figure out how serious a commitment I will be making to taking my car to autoX and then decide which tire to go with based on that. The RE-11a seems a good compromise between the S-04/PSS and more edgy race tires, I'm just not sure I want/need to go that far into race mode for my car.

So you're recommending foursquare setup (which I have), better tires, negative front camber (0.5 degrees), and a fsb. Not sure what information regarding tire pressure you're referring to.

The fsb recommendation comes as a surprise to me. Do others agree?