10-05-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spieltag View Post
Hey all, maybe someone with extensive body knowledge and fabrication could help me understand the procedure here.

I know many "cheaper" CF hoods have a fiberglass or aluminum skeleton with the CF single layer top.

I was wanting to see if someone could fabricate a GTR style vented hood (what I had on my e46) but so far most manufacturers have said they are not going to make one. (Seibon, vorsteiner, Vis). They did however make one for the 1m

I was just wondering what the procedure would be if I found a shop to custom make one (powerbulge + vents). Would it be like $10k to go through the molding process etc or would making a fiberglass one be way easier to sculpt the bulge and cut the vents.
Your best bet is to buy a Seibon hood and customize it with vents. You can buy a mold on alum powerdone kit from schmeidman too.

Vorsteiner's 'GTR' Hood was built for the 128i/135i before the 1m was even announced. Its an older style hood and the shape of the venting matches the style of the side gills on an e46. Stylistically it looks best on cars from that design period.
Appreciate 0