View Single Post
      10-02-2015, 03:07 AM   #20
Cameronc08
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.1 Turbo/F82 M4/'06 Saleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Bedrosian View Post
Every 1k mile, I check my oil....and you know what, it is blacker than black! There's a lot of carbon in the oil. That is no good my friend. The viscosity of the oil is completely different as well.....very watery. Common sense will tell you that the more often you replace the oil, the longer your engine will last. Look at race cars...they replace their oil after every race. I'm an engineer and it's in our blood and engraved in our brain....CHANGE THE OIL OFTEN. The oil will tell you everything about a mechanical component or an engine. Oil, oil, oil...everything is about the oil. Change the oil as often as you want, and as often as you can. I never drive hard, never taken my car to the track....I pretty much drive like my grandma and my oil is burnt after 2k miles on my M4. I replace every 3k - 3500 miles and my engine sounds and drives like day 1. I have a 2005 Viper with 148k miles on it...all I've done is change the oil and put gas in it. No breakdowns...and you know why? It's because I replaced the oil every 3500 miles.

I can't change my oil later than 3K or 3500 miles...I look at the oil and get scared after 1k miles, so..it's hard for me to ignore it and keep driving. I have mechanical sympathy..I can't let that black oil with metal particles just float around in my engine and lubricate the cylinders. In fact, the lubricative properties are almost non-existent at that point and that's how engines fail prematurely. Don't listen to BMW or the dealer. I've had the dealer tell me that my oil is good after 10k miles...I wanted to slap the guy in the face. Don't fool yourself and think that the car is made to handle 7500 miles without an oil change...or 10K, my goodness. Let me tell you...coming from an engineering background, change your oil. 4000k miles tops....but anything more than that, forget it.....those are for the guys who are leasing.
More impressed with the 150k mile viper than anything