View Single Post
      01-29-2021, 12:32 PM   #14
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

I have had a Model S for the last 4 years. It's an amazing car. And I'm looking to replace it with an M3 (or M2).

TLDR; I would definitely get the G80 if I were you.

The Model S is a very big car with a very large turn radius. But it has a low center of gravity and violent instant acceleration that hides its size. The best way I can describe it is that it's like a regular 5-series BMW that feels heavier but has instant acceleration and the best navigation system I have ever used. If you like a comfy car that is super easy to drive, has the best technology and is very fast for day to day driving, the Model S is a great car. It is also very cheap to maintain, although it does depreciate like a 5-series BMW. I have had some problems with mine, but all handled under warranty. And I do have panel gaps, but it's not something noticeable.

Despite the brutal acceleration, the Model S is not a sports car. I test drove a Model 3 Performance and I would say the same thing about it. These are not sports cars in my opinion. You do not get the chassis, handling, steering, etc. that you get in an M-car. For example, I never take my Tesla out for a fun drive on twisty roads. It's great for what it is, but it feels like a large, heavy appliance on wheels that pins you back like nothing else when you accelerate. Is that fun? It was fun for a while, but now I just drive it like a commuter car. Btw, it is probably the best commuter car.

So it really comes down to what you value. The G80 will undoubtedly be a far superior sports car. I'm interested in the G80 because I value the feel of the car more than the tech or instant acceleration.

Regarding the impending onslaught of BEV vehicles, to me that is a major reason to get the G80 (or F87). As soon as you buy a Tesla, it is outdated. 2 weeks after I bought mine, they improved acceleration on the new cars. A couple of months later, Tesla decided to include more features into the car for free. Etc. This is great for Tesla and for innovation. But it makes my car feel like it's not special at all. My car has the smaller battery, with the slower acceleration, without the x-y-z features, without the better computer, etc. This type of thing will continue for a while. As technology improves, the car you buy today will kinda suck in a few years. On the other hand, a retro M2/M3 (especially with a manual transmission) is like a classic that is cool for many years. At least that's how I view it. A car at this price point is an emotional purchase for me. It's not like an iPhone that I replace a few years from now. If you lease, of course, it may be a different story.

I can go on forever on this. I'm obviously not a typical Tesla owner since most of them swear by Tesla. I think it's an outstanding car, but I will be able to buy a far superior Tesla in 10 years. On the other hand, the M2/M3 type of car is a dying breed. Get it while you can.
Appreciate 5
akhbhaat180.50
Jcali861479.00
VIERsr2623.00
TechE9219.50
mmckenzie216.50