View Single Post
      05-19-2023, 09:40 AM   #93
npirnia
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Dodge Viper, 2023 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bromudez View Post
Basically all of the reviewers who picked the F87 gave a lot of praise for the G87 especially as a daily driver / cruiser or as a stoplight rocket. It’s a compelling proposition for most people. I love my F87 (and yea, I think it looks way better) but I too will be buying a G87 at some point.

So it’s strange to me that some get so upset over this. Reviewers are allowed to pick the older car. There’s plenty of criteria for liking a car besides performance stats. And yet there’s people here whining almost comparing Camisa to a flat earther 😂
I totally agree! I think the G87 will be an excellent car, but some of the dynamic magic was lost in the process of optimization. I don't have much time driving the F87, but my sense from what I recall and others have said is that the F87 required a bit of effort to make the front end and rear work harmoniously. Also, it felt like it had just a tad too much power for its chassis so oversteer management was a real consideration. These happen to be the kind of subtle flaws that drivers love and makes the car endearing.

With the G87, its M3/4 sourced chassis can absolutely handle everything that the S58 can output and the handling is more neutral with impressive rear traction. These happen to be material improvements that take away an enthusiasts favorite tasks...

No doubt the G87 will generate effortless and impressive pace on a backroad, but some would prefer some effort under those conditions. Still, these traits do make the car more trustworthy and a better daily driver, but I don't see the G87 being a slam dunk as a "special car" like the F87 could be (I think there are better "special cars" for the F87's price, but it was a contender).

But for the vast majority of customers (including me), the G87 will deliver what people want and will be a very flexible car that is still entertaining for "point A to point A" drives.

However, I don't think the F87's personality is coming back in an LCI like TAG suggested. I can think of many examples where a car is released with leery handling characteristics (usually related to oversteer) like the AP1 S2000, 2001 C5 Z06, 2006 C6 Z06, early F80/82 M3/4 that gets dialed back or better sorted in later models. But I can't think of a single example where a car starts with very neutral handling and sharp responses where engineers later put in more oversteer or require more weight transfer to get the car to turn in. Most large corporations won't invest budget in something that worsens safety or decreases performance.

The G87 is an excellent car, but the F87 had traits (actually flaws, but good flaws) that some drivers will miss. Such is the automotive trend of the last 10-15 years!

Best,

Nick
Appreciate 10
m2ss1814.00
Moflow2484.50
uk0168573.50
HSF87ZED229.00
Squidget3533.50
Tarmac124.50