View Single Post
      08-31-2014, 02:24 PM   #1
SloPoke
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

M4 vs 1M vs M5

So after selling my AW 1M about a year ago after owning it since new, I feel I may want to come back and play. I'm currently looking at either a 1M with budget left for goodies, a new M4, or a 2013/2014 M5. I know that all three are totally different cars and not often cross shopped. My only stipulation is that the back seat must have room for my two kids- 3 year old and 9 week old. Having driven back 1,000 miles from picking up my 1M in Connecticut with my son when he was 8 weeks old, I know it is doable.

I like the 1M because the rarity, looks and everything else you read about in the reviews. I also jump between cars every 2 years or so, and it will retain its value much better than the other two.

I like the M4 for the lines, interior, and the fact I can spec it out how I like it. I'll be testing one out this week so I will see if it is still on my list afterwards.

The M5 was not originally on my list but after testing one out in anger yesterday, it made me smile and giggle the whole test drive. There is just something cool about something that big going that fast. In sport plus the DCT is downright wicked and it moves out like few things I have ever driven. I don't like however that there is a new one on the horizon and I don't know if the novelty of its acceleration will where off when I can't really chuck it into the corners like the others on my list.

If I went 1M, I'd add full akra evo, KW V3, RB upgraded turbos (not sure if any other options are out since I left), and some ADV.1 wheels. Would also add a CF lip and diffuser from Revo.

If I went M4 I'd add some H&R springs, Meisterschaft GT2, and maybe some wheels when offsets are better known.

If I went M5, it would have similar mods as the M4, it would just have to be spaced out since my piggy bank would be empty after the purchase.
Appreciate 0