View Single Post
      04-04-2023, 05:17 AM   #144
M Division
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, G42 M24, X6, R34 GTR

I thought the reviews have been positive and not a lot of surprises from my end, coming from G42 owner who has driven G80/G82s and previously have owned an F series M4 - and have a G82 going into production on the 17th of the month.

Biggest surprise perhaps was slightly more negative press around the manual feel then expected, it's the same box as the M3/M4 which gets relatively good review.

It seems this is mainly because the manual gearing and M2 S58 tuning is maybe not as well suited as in the M3. It seems they've dialed out some low to mid range torque in the M2 tune, I assume to help with power transfer on the shorter chassis. This also explains why the auto can launch control in 1st gear, the the M3 rwd launches in 2nd gear.

I was hoping for some positive reviews around steering feel as this is one of the few aras my G42 lacks. The steering feel of the M2 seems mixed across the reviews. I suspect it will have some increased feel then the G42 but perhaps marginally so (M3 feels slightly better than my G42).

I'm surprised at how quick the car runs 0-100 on unprepped roads, 3.6-3.8 seconds across the reviews is faster then I personally thought it would be. I also expected it to launch in 2nd gear, so there you go.

Having seen the car in person and being a fan of the G42 the mixed reviews of the design doesn't surprise me. It's a modern design that's not for everyone. But I like, especially in person. Less so in photos. Since I'll be enjoying my car - in person - I'm happy.

The lengths the engineers went to to stiffne the chassis was also a great surprise. It tells me they've spent time dialing in the car. Explains some of the heft, as a positive and given how stiff the G42 is - I can't wait to feel the M2.

The rest is as expected - a better, cheaper, more fun M4. Exactly what I was excited for when I ordered my Brooklyn Grey, Auto, M2.
Appreciate 1
ronin130131000.50