04-26-2023, 08:58 AM   #29
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero21 View Post
When you're talking about driving cars below NEGATIVE 17F, you have to realize your point is becoming moot.
Sure while I haven't encountered temperatures that low (0F maybe a few degrees less is as cold as it gets) where I live I have driven through the mountains of western states in the winter. Still don't think I ever encountered -17F but I could have.

Even if my M2 doesn't get used below 32F I see no reason to run 5w-30 oil especially when the factory calls for 0w-30 oil. I note with complicated cam and valve control (variable cam timing and variable valve lift) the oil does double duty as a lubricating fluid and a hydraulic fluid. Owners of other brands of cars who have have ventured to use a "thicker" oil have reported CEL with an error code that arises from the wrong oil being used.

My JCW has variable cam timing a variable valve lift. The variable (intake) valve lift is actually the "throttle". MINI calls for 0w-20 oil and that's what gets used.

My 2022 BMW 230i had something similar and 0w-20 oil was the recommended oil for that engine.

The M2 engine likewise has a similar setup.

I want the M2 engine's variable valve timing and lift feature to work as it is designed to work and for as long as possible. So I'll use 0w-30 oil as the factory calls for.
Appreciate 0