07-18-2006, 09:55 AM   #10
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowin
thanks, guys. It's interesting to know about the parking issues there. I guess I'd stick with a E91 instead of a E60/E61. And I'll probably get the front/rear PDC. You guys on this forum have been great. I look forward to joining you guys on future BMW meets. I don't think I can make the second one that you guys will have soon...
I'm based in the UK in the Midlands and have just ordered a 330i m-sport with 18 inch rims.

At the moment I have an e60 with 19 inch rims and VERY low profile tyres (not runflats).

The comments on road conditions in the UK are pretty reasonable. The Motorways and A roads are maintained to a high standard. B roads not so well. In residential areas many local councils are pretty hopeless at filling potholes and in the country there are a lot of single track roads, with loose verges.

Speeding is a BIG issue in the UK and you need to be VERY careful not to get caught on camera.

One thing I would say is that the best opportunities for enthusiastic driving in the UK are on fairly narrow country roads. Although my e60 laps it up in terms of handling - it's a wide car and dinging my big rims is a big concern on badly edged roads.

Also - in terms of parking the e60 is a big car over here. You would find it only just fits in most car parking spaces, so it is a real risk for dings in the doors from the car in the next bay.

This is partly why I am trading down to the e90.

As for the diesel comment - if you are going to do a lot of miles - then definitely get one - the fuel prices over here are going to scare the pants of you.

Having said that - my e60 is diesel and my e90 is petrol - It's going to cost me - but I just want the fun of a petrol engine - even if it isn't any quicker on the road.
Appreciate 0