Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 and 2023 Mazda CX-30

Garage List
  [10.00]
  [10.00]
2024 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerVinyl View Post
Yesterday, I had the opportunity to see the new G87 M2 in person for the first time. Up until yesterday, I didn't really know how I felt about the looks and overall design language of the G87. What I did know and understand quite well is BMW's uncanny ability to design cars into the future. What I mean is, cars you think look ugly, vile, atrocious at their release (yes, you've heard all the words) and yet over time, the design grows on you, and people begin to favor that new era of styling. The G8x is a perfect example of this.

This is also the case with the G42 and my decision to purchase a 2022 M240i. When the G42 first came out, it received endless amounts of hate; mostly undeserved. Nobody gave it a fighting chance, and repeatedly, stressed the point that it would never be as good looking as the outgoing F22 generation. However, the more I looked at it, and the more I thought about all the advantages it had over the Supra for the same price (interior amenities, AWD, rear seats, etc.), I began to love and accept it for what it was. Fast forward nine months into ownership, and I've never been happier with a car. It checks, quite literally, every box. For reference, I came out of a 981 Boxster S and a modified 440i, so the bar was high you could say.

Now lets get back to the G87. Unlike the G42, the design of the G87, in pictures, had not grown on me at all. It didn't matter the angle, the color, the wheels, anything. It just looked off. Not ugly, just off. Something about the design from every angle didn't work. For goodness sake, the XM grew on me within a [...]
I will say I agree with you on many levels.

I kind of compare my thoughts to when I first saw the S550 Mustang. I was like, "Meh." But, over time it grew on me and seeing them in person even more so. I loved the looks of my 2022 Mustang GT and it was hard to part with it.

As for the G87, I actually liked it when I first saw pictures. But when we went to the dealership to look at the AW / Cognac / CF Roof / Bi-color wheels one they had we absolutely loved it both inside and out. It really is a good looking car. And I've received several compliments / 👍 in the 400+ miles I've driven it around town.

About the only thing I would say they need to do is body color paint the base of the inlet below the bumper to complete the look of the front ( yes I know I can buy a part to complete that look).