View Single Post
      05-10-2023, 08:34 PM   #75
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidget View Post
I agreed with everything else you said, but I'm not sure what this quoted bit means. The E9x used multiple engines, as did the F8x cars. There's overlap, the N55 appeared in both E and F cars.

In the E and F era, if we are talking about everything derived from the N54 (inline 6 turbocharged), I think there isn't that much difference in "character." The biggest difference is the turbo lag (dual scroll single turbo vs dual turbo) and how the boost is tuned in.

Unless you are talking specifically about the S65? In that case, sure, that V8 did have a special character. Unfortunately, it could not meet european emissions standards.
the s65 had a ton of character but it would be considered a very subpar performance motor these days... u simply can't do much w a small displacement V8... its not torquiey and not particularly powerful on the dyno... from my recollection, s65s dynod only like 360 whp... if he is referring to Porsche character, the pull out the checkbook bcuz a gt3 is not a fair comparo to anything here... not sure the carreras have THAT much more character at all