09-01-2015, 09:45 AM   #15
utenigma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i 8SA M-Adaptive

Garage List
OP, I'm going to advise against the RE-11's

I had them for a season and there's just better tires out there for the money. The RE-11's didn't have the heat tolerance of other tires in the bunch

Since then I've had Hankook RS3's and Federal 595 RS-R's

The Hankook's have amazing heat tolerance, wear well (for UTQG 200 tires) and stick like glue - I would buy them again

Currently I have the Federal 595 RS-R's on the car - They're relatively new and a little hard to find (google for them and you'll find a supplier) but they're CHEAP (as in ~$600 a set instead of $1200). I read good things about them and figured hell for half price I'd give them a shot. Verdict - they're great tires. They're every bit as sticky as the Hankooks were (maybe even a little stickier), they tolerate the heat just as well. They are wearing a touch faster than the Hankook's did (I track tire wear in an excel spreadsheet because I'm like that) but at half price who cares. Downside is they're currently rated as UTQG160 tires - which if you compete in SCCA autocross is currently considered a R compound tire and puts you outside of street and street touring. Hopefully Federal will do what the other tire manufacturers did 2 years ago and start stamping them 200 to deal with the regulation change. Other down side, they make a little annoying noise when cruising ~30-45 miles an hour - above that and below that they behave. It seems to have gotten better as the tread has worn down.

Now for tires I haven't driven - mentioned above the Bridgestone RE-71R - it will be the next tire I put on my car. They're pricy (but basically in-line with the other competitors) but they are the hands down stand out grip leader of the UTQG200 tires. One of my friends did a back to back test at one of our autocrosses swapping between the RE-71R and his Hoosier A6's (basically the stickiest rubber on the planet) and the 71R's were only 1 second slower on a 50 second track. I am sold - price be damned

As to fitment - I have H&R sport springs and use Apex Arc-8 18x9 wheels with ET42.
I run a 3mm spacer in the front and run 265/35R18's on all 4 corners - yes they fit, no they don't rub.

Square is defiantly the way to go for performance and for tire life - your rears will wear the inner band and the fronts will wear the outer shoulder - rotating them front to back gets you a lot of extra life - also flipping the tires on the rims at about the half-way point gets you more life as well because the inner shoulder is relatively un-abused.

Last edited by utenigma; 09-01-2015 at 10:04 AM..
Appreciate 1