View Single Post
      04-29-2010, 12:21 PM   #17
plasar
plasar
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Vert

Garage List
Thumbs down Vinyl More Accurate Than CD?

"Many CDs have clipping of the digital "waveform" and dynamic range compression... Also, CDs only take a snapshot of the analog waveform, so even at their best, they are missing information from the original analog recording."

"Vinyl can also be recorded to a computer and converted to mp3/wav or whatever digital format you like..."

"SACD is the only of the digital formats whose operational waveforms are almost identical to analog versus the typical digital pattern. SACD is the only format that can reproduce material in upper octaves sufficiently to preserve the upper harmonic structures that makes music rich. That makes a Stradivarius sound different from a kid’s rental violin."

Of course, the bottom line is whatever sounds best to you is the way to go. I'm sure we can all agree to that.

And I'm sure we can accept that standard digital CD can provide excellent sound at such a low cost, in the medium itself and on playback equipment, the market has obviously moved there.

However, I'll go even further - there is no way that one can maintain that a vinyl record is a better copy of the live or studio performance than a CD.

Firstly, the dynamic range, frequency response, and stereo separation of vinyl is so limited compared to a CD that it is laughable... and audible.

Next, the number of audio tricks applied just to get the sound in and out of the grooves of a record - RIAA equalization/de-equalization, de-essing, and many more - are indefensible if one contends that vinyl maintains the integrity of the original recording. These are supposedly accurately undone at playback? Is there any error correction? No way.

Finally, what's the amount of color added by a sharp, weighted stylus surfing a spinning groove, wearing it down with each turn? Can we say "snap, crackle, pop, warble"? Accuracy? Adjustments?

The humble CD gets you to 16-bit, error-corrected, no noise added perfection of the original master recording.

It was clear since I heard it for the first time in college in 1983 (CD released 1982), to when I bought a first generation Sony DiscMan D50, to my current Macintosh iTunes lossless files/digital out/McIntosh AV/McIntosh amp/B&W speakers/Sunfire subwoofer system, that CD sounds much better than anything that came before it.

So, just maybe, if you are listening to a single violin, at a low volume, for that first spin of the virgin vinyl from the pressing plant, on a $5,000 granite turntable, it may sound really great. (And I might contend it's the "color" added by the analog process that you really like...)

But add to that some low frequencies (organ pedal, Moog, kettle drum, Tama kit), some high frequencies, some voice, some dynamic range, a wide stereo sound stage, etc., and I bet anyone could tell which sounded closer to the original performance.

AcousTech Mastering - PRODUCING GREAT SOUNDING PHONOGRAPH RECORDS
Electronic Musician - Mastering Vinyl
Sony DiscMan D50

Last edited by plasar; 04-29-2010 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 0